Wednesday, July 20, 2011

To worship God or not to worship God? . . . that is the question.

Each day we are given to live, we have many choices before us. What should we wear? What should we eat? What should we do today? It is inevitable that some of the choices have already been made. Some have been made for us. But no matter if choices are made already, by you or someone else, there is one that you must make each and every day. It is this . . . who will I live for today?

Every other choice that you make is wrapped up in that one, all encompassing choice? One might argue that there are more than 2 choices in answering that question. But I believe it comes down to 2 main choices. Will I choose to live for God, creator, our redeemer? Or will I choose to live for myself? Everything else is a symptom of how we answer this question.

If we choose to live for God we will live life intentionally for Him. We will stay away from the things that will destroy us, and others. We will stay close to the things that will bring us life. Will will worship Him when we gather together because of who He is and what he's done. We will be actively in His word, learning to understand God's heart for this earth and His people in it. We will be still and wait patiently for the Lord. We will see people the way God sees them. We will treat people with respect, and better yet, grace. And that is just a start of a list.

But if we choose to live for ourselves, there is nothing we won't do. We will potentially engage in harmful behavior. We will act on every whim that is inherent in our sinful nature. In essence, we will be controlled by this world and what it offers, and essentially the evil one himself. If we choose to live for God, we are, in all essences of the word, worshipping God. If we choose to live for ourselves we worship all sorts of idols, false Gods. But you can't just say whom you will worship, it will be determined by your actions and attitudes.

Joshua 24:14-15 “Now fear the LORD and serve him with all faithfulness. Throw away the gods your ancestors worshiped beyond the Euphrates River and in Egypt, and serve the LORD. But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.”

I don't always make the right choices. I sometimes choose myself over the Lord. It is always the wrong choice. But as I watch my wife, as I watch over my kids, as I pray over my family and as I look at myself in the spiritual mirror, I pray that I answer like Joshua, always.

So who will you worship today? Tomorrow? Forever?

Humbly,
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment